Ah, New Year’s Day! It seems like just yesterday we were welcoming 2014 and now, here we are in 2015 already! Have you made resolutions? Well, I have a few suggestions for you!
- Don’t fall into the diet trap! You know if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! So why, when it comes to our weight loss plans, do we fall into the diet trap over and over? We believe these lose weight quick plans will work – and sometimes they do – but as soon as we stop the difficult food preparations, counting carbs, points, protein or whatever the new trend in numbers is, we gain that weight right back! Get off the hamster wheel and back to basics instead – eat real, whole foods. Yes, it really is that simple! NUMBers make us NUMB!
- Instead of resolutions, make a commitment to yourself! Commit to being your best self. Commit to sitting down and writing your goals out with a realistic plan to get there. Commit to being true to yourself. Commit to taking care of yourself as well as you take care of everyone else.
- Make time for physical activities you enjoy. Rather than trying to force yourself to do exercise you don’t enjoy (or worse, really hate!), do the things you love and do them often! All physical activity counts – and maybe even more so when you’re having fun too!
- Improve your relationships. Take the time to really listen to those you spend time with. Don’t listen to respond – listen to hear what they are saying! True listening will help you gain a deeper understanding of people and will show them you really care.
- Reduce your tech time. Yes, I know you use Facebook to keep in touch, email for work, text for friends, TV to wind down, the internet for, well, everything! Try to plan your screen time so that you are logging off and shutting it down at least an hour before you plan to go to sleep. You’ve heard how all that screen time can affect your sleep, so why haven’t you changed your habits yet? Use that hour to read, journal, meditate, have sex, talk with your significant other. Do not use that time to exercise, clean, put in laundry or anything else that gets you thinking about other things you need to do!
- Get more sleep! We all need it and the health benefits are immeasurable! Why are you staying up until midnight when you need to get up at 5 or 6?
Do any of these sound like changes you need to make? Join me in making healthy changes for your best year yet!